Photo above finally uploaded on 15 March, as explained in a post about how I’m terrible at putting photos into blog posts.
Tonight, for some crazed reason, I decided to make some veggie burgers from scratch. They didn’t turn out very burger-y. (I even cooked up some burgerus genericus in case the resident veggie thought they were crap. As a side note, he hates most traditional veggie foods. Non-veggie that I am, though, I prefer those veggie foods that don’t pretend to be meat.)
So back to the biscuits….
I gathered up the following (through the process, in some cases):
- A pack of dry soya mince
- A Knorr vegetable stock pot
- A kettle of boiling water
- Half a can of butter beans
- Half a can of chickpeas
- Tahini (a spoonful)
- A glug of olive oil
- A lemon, for juice
- A big ol’ handful of fresh coriander
- A small onion
- Cayenne powder
- Half a big bell pepper
- A jalapeno
- Some white bread flour (it was the first I grabbed, not a real choice)
- Some gram flour
I followed the soya mince instructions (and gagged a few times) and chucked it in a jug with the stock pot and then covered the lot in boiling water. Stirred it a bit and then left it for a bit longer than the 1 minute. About 5 or so minutes later, I drained the excess water and started chucking things in the blender.
I’d really say this isn’t a blender job, but I don’t know where our food processor is (or if it currently functions).
So the mince and everything (the spices all were to taste, so a lot of each) except the flour got going in the blender (eventually). I might have put a bit of water in there, too, in an attempt to get the damn stuff to just fucking blend already.
I eventually gave up when it got mostly blended with a few chunkier bits here and there. I got it out of the blender and into a bowl. That’s when the flour came into the game. I guess there was about 2 cups of bread flour and 1 big cup of the gram flour (which I remembered I had after the second cup of bread flour and thought it might not make it as bland and would go with the chickpeas that were in there).
The end result was something kinda like a falafel dough. Not too sludgy, but still a bit damp. I made them into patties (big spoonful each) which was much easier with wet hands.
I put them on two baking trays (one with a bit of olive oil, the other with foil) and baked them at 220-ish (the oven doesn’t do exact temperatures) for about 20 minutes. I declared them done when they were a bit golden brown around the edges.
They turned out nice, especially dipped in salsa or hummus, or both, and with a bit of feta sprinkled on top.
(I’ll get a photo later. They basically look like cookies, though. They aren’t a good-looking food.)